How often have you had to push or strain to begin urination?
How often have you found it difficult to postpone urination?
How often have you stopped & started again several times when you urinated?
Do you wake up at night for urination?
If yes then you are suffering from BEP
Benign Enlargement of Prostate
Benign Enlargement of Prostate is a benign overgrowth of a part of prostate gland obstructing the bladder neck.
- Hormonal - As the age advanced the level of androgen comes down. There is a corresponding increase in the estrogen which stimulate the prostatic gland & produces BEP.
- Neoplastic - There is a proliferation of all the elements of prostate i.e.,fibrous muscular & glandular resulting in fibromyoadenoma.
- Retension of urine - Either acute or chronic retention of urine occurs due to obstruction by enlarged prostate at neck of bladder.
- Infection of urinary tract - Secondary to retention of urine, various diseases causing micro-organism present in stagnated urine can cause recurrent UTI.
- Bladder stones - Due to stagnation of urine.
- Renal failure - Chronic retention of urine loads to backflow of urine into kidneys causing recurrent infection and damage to their structure.
- Sabal Serrulata - Excellent remedy in homeopathic treatement for BEP in males with constant desire to urinate at night. Prostatic hypertrophy associated with cystitis loss of sexual power in male with urinary complaints.
- Conium - Very useful remedy for BEP in old men with hard, indurated prostatic enlargement, great difficulty in voiding with interrupted stream of urine, dribbling stream of urine.
- Cantharis - This remedy acts on the urinary & sexual organs causing voilent inflammation.Intolerable urging,urine passed drop by drop constant desire to urinate,urine jelly like shreddy.
- Calc-carb - It is a constitutional remedy suited to fair, fat & fabby patients. It acts on glands causing glandular swelling so it is thought of in cases of BEP where there is irritable bladder & enuresis.
- Iodum - This remedy is best suited to hot patients with glandular complaints. It acts on prostate gland and causes induration & swelling with frequent urination so it is an excellent remedy in case of BEP.
- Drinking less alcohol.
- Drinking less water in evening.
- Remembering to empty you bladder.
- Do bladder training exercise.
- Difficulty in initiating the strea of urine.
- Has to hurry to the toilet as there is great urgency to pass urine.
- Sensation of incomplete emptying of bladder after urination.
- Having to strain during urination.
- Increased frequency of urination especilly at night.
- The stream of urine is slow with dribbling of urine at times.