Epilepsy is a chronic disorder that causes unprovoked recurrent seizures.A seizure is a sudden rush of electrical activity in the brain.
Types: Generalized Seizures & Focal or partial seizures
1. Generalized Seizures: Affect the whole brain.
2. Focal or partial seizures: Affect just one part the brain.
In some cases stronger seizures, can cause spasm & uncontratable muscle twitches. Which lasts for few seconds to several minutes. In some cases,people lose conciousness.
Causes: Genetic, Brain tumors, Alcoholism or alcohol withdral,Alzimer's dis, stroke, Heart attacks, Metabolic disorders, Head injury, Prenatal injury, Poisioning, High grade fever, Very low blood sugar.
- Lack of sleep, Alcohol consumption, Stress, Hormonal changes with menstrual cycle, Illness or fever
- Bright lights, flashing lights or patterns, Caffeine, medicines or drugs.
- Skipping meals, overeating or specific food in gredients.
- Absence Seizures also known as 'petil mal seizures' - causes repetitive movements like lip smacking or blinking,short loss of awareness.
- Tonic seizures - cause muscle stiffness.
- Atonic seizures - loss of muscle control & can make fall down suddenly.
- Clonic seizures -Repeated, jerky muscle movements of the face, neck & arms.
- Myoclonic seizures -cause spontaneous quick twitching of the arms & legs.
- Tonic-clonic seizures also known as "Grand mal seizures" -stiffening of the body, shaking, loss of bladder or bowel control, biting of tongue, loss of consciousness.
- Causium: Epilepsy at the age of puberty due to menstrual irregularity or suppression of enptions or to some fright, worse during new moon. Involuntary urination. Better by drinking cold water
- Cuprum Metallicum: The aura begins in the lower extrmities and ascends to the hypogastrium region when unconsciousness, convulsions and foaming of the mouth suprevene.
- The patient continously protrucles & retracts tongue during the attack.
- Worse in a warm room. Oppressive headache preceding the attack.
- Nux vomica: Convulsions with consciousness, worse with anger, touch, emotion, moving, indigestion. Covulsions with tetanic rigidity, opisthotonos,red face closed eyes. Involuntary defection and urination in fit. Aura from epigastrium. Deep sleep follows the attack. Worse in open air.
- Bufo Rana: When due to masturbation or sexual excesses. The fit may return during coition. An awful sensation of anxiety in the abdomen and then there is a sudden loss of consciousness.Pupils largely dilated and unaffected by light before the attack. Aura starts from sexual organs or abdomen. Mouth wide open before an attack and droping of the jaw after the attack. Urine passes in voluntarily after the attack or epilepsy occurs during sleep.
- Agaricusm: In epilepsy when after the attack there is great flow of ideas & the patient talks too much fit of epilepsy every seven days. Begins with paroxysm of yawning.
- Traumatic brain injury.
- Conjestive & behavioural complication.
- Status epilepticus.
- Sudden & enexplained death.
- Difficulty in learning.
- Breathingnin food or saliva into the lungs during a seizures which can cause aspiration pneumonia.
- Permanent brain damage.
- Side effects of medicines.
Sign & symptoms
Symptoms may differ from person to person,according to type of seizure.
- Alterations to sense of taste,smell,sight,hearing or touch.
- Tingling & twitching of limbs.
- Staring blankly.
- Performins repetitive movements.